Your recycling bin is collected fortnightly on the alternate week to your green waste bin. The material is taken to a Materials Recovery Facility at Gateshead where it is seperated and bundled into the different types of materials. These bundles are then taken to another processing facility to be made into new goods.
Hunter Resource Recovery provides the recycling service for Lake Macquarie City Council and is an initiative of Cessnock, Lake Macquarie, Maitland City Councils and Singleton Council.
Find out your recycling collection dates by visiting my.lakemac.com.au or call Hunter Resource Recovery on 1800 838 884.
What can go in your recycling bin
- paper and cardboard including newspapers, glossy magazines, books, envelopes, telephone books, empty pizza boxes and long life juice and milk containers
- glass bottles and jars
- steel and aluminium tins and cans including aerosol spray cans, pet food cans, food tins, drink cans, clean aluminium foil and trays, as well as steel and aluminium pots and pans and empty dried paint tins
- all rigid plastic liquid and food containers including fruit punnets, biscuit trays, empty ice cream containers, shampoo and conditioner bottles, empty takeaway containers, margarine tubs, as well as deodorant bottles, small garden plant pots, disposable plastic cutlery and dishes, Tupperware and CD cases (without the CDs).
For a detailed list of what can go in your recycling bin, download the A- Z Guide, visit recycleright or see the sticker inside your recycling bin lid.
What can't go in your recycling bin
- plastic bags, cling wrap, chip packets, bubble wrap and any other "scrunchy" plastic packaging
- foam and polystyrene
- drinking glassware (glass cups, wine glasses etc.)
- crockery or Pyrex
- light globes
- videos and cassette tapes
- motor oil containers
- timber building waste
- gas cylinders
- liquid wastes such as, chemicals, paints, and oils
- explosive, flammable, corrosive, toxic or radioactive wastes
- pharmaceutical, clinical and sharps wastes
- window glass and mirrors
Download the Lake Macquarie Recycling Directory or visit other household waste, to find out how to recycle items not accepted in your recycling bin.
- Leave your bin on the kerb for collection by 5.30am.
- Ensure your bin lid is closed.
- The maximum weight of your recycling bin should not exceed 80 kilograms for both standard 240 litre bin and upside 360 litre bin.
- Place your bin at the kerbside at least one metre away from your garbage bin or other obstructions.
- Put recyclables loosely in the bin – no plastic bags.
- Containers must be free of food and liquid but rinsing is not required.
- Remove plastic bags from cereal boxes.
- Remove lids and caps and place these separately in your recycling bin.
- Crush all bulky items to make more space.
What if my bin is missed or damaged
Call Hunter Resource Recovery on 1800 838 884.
Upsize your recycling bin
You can swap your existing 240 litre recycling bin to a larger 360 litre bin for a small fee by simply applying online with your credit card, or contact Council on 4921 0333.
Your recycling bin will be swapped on your regular recycling day. Please leave your recycling bin on the kerb until 5pm after it is emptied so it can be swapped over. It may take up to eight weeks after your application is received for your bin to be swapped.
The recycling bin is the property of the waste contractor, is individually numbered and must remain at the property if you move.
The 240 litre recycling bin is 68cm wide and 85cm deep at the top (it tapers at the base) and 1.1 metres high. By comparison, the 360 litre recycling bin is 10cm wider, 12cm deeper and 4cm taller than the standard 240 litre recycling bin.
Note: the weight limit of the 360 litre bin is 80 kilograms (same as the standard 240 litre bin). This limit doesn't cause an issue unless it is filled with large amounts of glass or paper.
Can I get an additional recycling bin
Extra 240 or 360 litre recycling services are available. Apply online with your credit card or contact our Customer Service Centre on 02 4921 0333. Fees and charges apply.
What if I move to a new property
The recycling bin is the property of the waste contractor, is individually numbered and must remain at the property when you move. You can write your address on the bin but it cannot be used as a garbage or green waste bin, nor can the lid be changed.
To organise a recycling service for your new property, simply apply online or contact our Customer Service Centre on 02 4921 0333.
What if my bin was stolen
You will need to report it to the Police Assistance Line on 131 444 and then call the Recycling Hotline on 1800 838 884 with your Police Event Number to organise a replacement bin free of charge.
Contamination in your recycling bin
If non-acceptable items, or contamination, are placed in your bin, it may not be emptied. All recycling trucks have on-board cameras and drivers may place a sticker on the bin to advise why the bin was not emptied. The bin will only be emptied once the contaminant has been removed. If your bin is stickered again for non-conformance, your recycling service may be suspended.
If you have an item that will not be accepted in the recycling bin, please consider reusing it or donating it where appropriate, or check out the Lake Macquarie Recycling Directory for a list of other items that can be recycled and how to recycle them.
Special needs waste collection
Council provides a special needs waste collection service, commonly known as a Blue Dot Service for those who are unable to take their bin to and from the kerb due to a medical condition. Council will collect your bin from an agreed location from your property and return it to you emptied.
To apply for a Blue Dot Service, please complete and return the Blue Dot Service application form signed by your general practitioner.
Page last updated: 26 April 2017