Building and Development Compliance

Lake Macquarie City Council provides a compliance service to ensure development is undertaken in accordance with approvals.

We have dedicated officers who are authorised to issue and enforce notices and orders under the following legislation:

Council has a minimal tolerance approach to unauthorised development and any breach under the relevant acts. This approach ensures consistent and effective enforcement takes place.

Council encourages people to ensure they undertake their land use activities with consent/approval so as not to cause a nuisance or be in a breach of legislation. We also encourage all residents to talk to their neighbours about nuisance problems before contacting Council.

If you wish to report a compliance problem or request a compliance investigation, you must lodge a compliance service request with Council.

All building and development compliance requests are dealt with in accordance with our Privacy Statement.

What We Do


  • Breaches of the Building Code of Australia.
  • Building work outside the permitted working hours.
  • Swimming pool fence compliance.
  • Unauthorised / unlawful building work.
  • Fire affected, dilapidated/dangerous buildings and structures.


  • Breaches of the Lake Macquarie Local Environmental Plan 2004 (as it relates to unauthorised land use).
  • Non-compliance of Development Application conditions of approval.
  • Enforcement of the Local Government Act 1993, Environmental Planning & Assessment Act 1979 and Protection of the Environment Operations Act 1997.
  • Unauthorised land use, including land clearing.

Erosion and Sediment Control

  • Sediment washing away from development sites into watercourses including Council’s stormwater system, Lake Macquarie, and its tributaries.
  • Industry and community education.
  • Breaches of the Protection of Environment Operations Act 1997.

For more information see frequently asked questions about erosion and sediment control.


Fire Safety

  • Breaches of fire safety schedule for business/commercial premises.

What We Don't Do

In these situations, Council encourages residents to seek independent legal advice.